About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Sleet to come?

Global warming is alive and well, or so they say.
Now then, we may be facing icy temperatures and sleet soon...
here in subtropical Houston.
Look, don't get me wrong, I like SNOW.. just not here!
Schiache (ugly) Perchten in the Austrian Alps, a pagan rite to drive out winter and make land fertile for farmers.sometimes accompanied by Schaine (beautiful) Perchten, usually female masks.
I grew up with snow, I walked to school and, later, work in snow-getting up 2-3 hours earlier, I shoveled snow, I skied on snow, I sledded down the hills, who, by the way, where NOT alive with music. Unless one counts moans and groans as music (maybe bone doctors:-D).
I scraped icicles off my nose, dried thawing hair with towels, layered and layered clothes (layering traps body heat/air between the layers and keeps us warmer, see!), peeled layers and layers off when going to the Opera, the Kaffeehaus, etc. and repeated the process when leaving. Drank gallons of Gluehwein, hot tea with rum and lemon, or honey. And ...ah well the list is endless..

Last winter photos, I promise, snow drops and Christmas Roses.

So, now in my dotage (;-), I want heat, I want warm sun, I want to wear non-layered thin, light clothes, I want icecream (albeit no sugar added), I want relax by pool or ocean, I want to BE WARM, drink chilled wines and eat fresh sunkissed fruit. And SUNNY... Boney M.


No comments: