About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Another witness to WW2 died..

Miep Gies, who helped with supplying the Franks and friends in the attic during WW2 has died at the venerable age of 100.

R.I.P. she did what any good human ought to do
The ranks of witnesses and helpers during one of the world's worst 'ethnic cleansing'-or let's be honest - 'killing'- is shrinking. And the majority of the youngsters born in the last two or three decades, and in the ones to come, may not be aware of the horrible crimes committed against humankind. Memories are short, and memories of bad things even shorter.
The dam holding back large scale atrocities was breached in WW2 , and periodically breaches recur, sadly. With easily accessible news coverage such events have become instantly visible. Seemingly, though, this has NOT resulted in unwillingness to commit such atrocities.
History repeats itself! Regretfully, we seem to be unable to learn from the mistakes of the past.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne Frank was a victim.

artandhockey said...

And many others as well. How quickly we forget, so let us remember them all.

LadyByngsLoveChild said...

I remember reading The Diary of Anne Frank and being so awed that the people who helped the Franks risked so much just because it was the right thing to do. I hope if it ever comes down to it I can be just as brave as they were. R.I.P Miep you were a truely brave woman.

artandhockey said...

Yes, that IS the question we all should ask ourselves.. could we do this? Could we commit to fight against odds? I, to am not sure I could, it was easier, perhaps, then.. no computers, no cameras, no red light cameras, no wiretapping, no spy ware as sophisticated as all that is now.. Mo more privacy, seems like..so much more difficult to do what they didi then.

artandhockey said...

When in haste.. one makes mistakes.. let me cortrect some in my commnet above:
Mo more .. should read NO more..
..didi.. is not a name ;-), it should read .. DID..sorry.