About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

I don't know about you.
But I do feel a certain let down on Mother's (and Father's Days) much more so than at Christmas.
So here is my paean to my Mutti, Omi and Oma with poems,
 some by anonymous, and photos by artandhockey.
AND TO ALL Mothers, Grandmothers, even 'adopted' ones-Ehrenamtliche Muetter und Grossmuetter! ;-)!

After all these years you are still missed by me.
I keep loving you across eternity, that you do know, I am sure.


"The history of Mother's Day is centuries old and goes back to the times of ancient Greeks, who held festivities to honor Rhea, the mother of the gods. The early Christians celebrated the Mother's festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent to honor Mary, the mother of Christ. Interestingly, later on a religious order stretched the holiday to include all mothers, and named it as the Mothering Sunday. The English colonists settled in America discontinued the tradition of Mothering Sunday because of lack of time. In 1872 Julia Ward Howe organized a day for mothers dedicated to peace. It is a landmark in the history of Mother's Day.

In 1907, Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948), a Philadelphia schoolteacher, began a movement to set up a national Mother's Day in honor of her mother, Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis. She solicited the help of hundreds of legislators and prominent businessmen to create a special day to honor mothers. The first Mother's Day observance was a church service honoring Anna's mother. Anna handed out her mother's favorite flowers, the white incarnations, on the occasion as they represent sweetness, purity, and patience. Anna's hard work finally paid off in the year 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as a national holiday in honor of mothers"




A rose for my mother,
That's all she asks of me,
For a lifetime of trouble
She had raising me. A rose for my mother,
Whom God gave to me,
She spent her life raising children,
And we're all grateful as can be.

So I bought a rose for mother,
That I gave to her, with pride,
And I said, I love you mother,
And I thank you for my life, And mother, if I had bought all the roses,
To give to you, from me,
There would be so many,
They would fill up a tree, But you, wouldn't want that many,
As you've often said to me,
One, would be a plenty!



Fortweinen möchte' ich dies Leben,
So weh ist mir
Ohne dich.
Mutter, noch einmal nur
Sing mir dein Wiegenlied,
Mutter, sing mich zur Ruh.

Michael Georg Conrad . 1846 - 1927

Madre, eres la flor
Que ha nacido en mi jardín,Más hermosa que un jazmín,
Por tu maravilloso color.
Te recuerdo con amor,
Porque para mi has sido,
Del mundo lo mas querido
De mi vida, la mas hermosa.
La más bella de las rosas
de mi jardín florecido.

No comments: