About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Oh, what a night...

Concert of Aria was stunning.
The winner and Audience Favorite was Anthony Roth Costanzo, a countertenor with already a quite impressive career.
My god, what a voice! It bathed one in creamy celestial sounds. On top of that he had inate feeling for music, dramatic flair, simply an out of this world sound, really!
He sang from Handel "Aure, deh per pieta"( Giulio Cesare) and "Rompo i lacci" (Flavio)..beautiful, just beautiful.
Next up Soprano Devon Guthrie with Rake's Progress (I rather liked) and a Handel piece from Giulio Cesare (which did not impressed me as much), and third Russian baritone Boris Dyakov, who did two selections: "Ah,per sempre io te perdei" from I Puritani di Scozia by Bellini, and
"Luche la fe por el trionfo" from Torroba's Luisa Fernanda which I found very well sung with perfect Spanish sound!
Other finalists did well, but except for Bass Tareq Nazmi, whose Schubert Lied "Wer sich der Einsamkeit ergibt" from Gesang des Haerfners was presented impressively and got my vote, were not quite in the same class as the Countertenor and the Russian Bariton. Later more.

No comments: