About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Cold and Hot and Cold again..

....no, it is not the current Houston weather report, although it easily could be!
It's the all too predictable reaction by "Fans" to Aeros Hockey.

Comedy and Tragedy-Hockey Style?
Just like last year.
How often did they rant about the LOST BOYZ?
Only to gush over the COME BACK BOYZ?
Who DID make it into the Play Offs.
With the help of Locke, Kolanos, Noreau, Beaudoin, Hrkac, Khudobin and a few others.
Fame is fleeting, alas. Perhaps not quite as bad as this
And now, the complaining, the ranting, the sour grapes, the swearing, the despairing, and above all, criticising starts all over again!
Yes, agreed, this team is not what it promised to be (by the powers up North). But then THAT team isn't quite that either!
Yes, poor Zingoni has been cursed with injuries after injuries last year and again this year! Others, as well, some not terribly missed though.
Yes, Noreau, a defenseman, turns out to be one of the best offensive scorers, duh?
Yes, Daoust, seemingly too slight for Pro-Hockey, proves his mettle over and over!
Yes, DiSalvatore, hired because of his Power Play prowess, has not quite fulfilled it.
What to think of this team?
IMO, a bunch of really nice guys, who work hard and try hard!
BUT there is a lack of that undefinable 'talent' which translate into NHL level success.
Overall, this team provides entertainment, it is hockey after all!
Even if not of that 'nailbiting', 'heartattack producing' 'something' such as last year's.
Play off chances... IMO, not good at all.
Below some numbers showing clearly that the Aeros' play-off chances are diminishing.
West Division (labels apply to all teams' data)
1. Chicago Wolves
54 GP
33 W
17 L
0 OTL
4 SOL
70 PTS
0.648 PCT
178 GF
137 GA
8-0-0-2 STK
8-0-0-2 P1O
765 PIM
2.Rockford IceHogs
57
31
21
2
3
67
0.588
167
161
0-1-0-0
7-3-0-0
966
3 .Milwaukee Admirals
56
30
20
1
5
66
0.589
163
160
0-1-0-0
4-6-0-0
812
4. Texas Stars
54
29
18
3
4
65
0.602
153
130
0-3-0-0
5-5-0-0
709
5. Houston Aeros
56
27
22
6
1
61
0.545
151
149
0-1-0-0
5-5-0-0
884
6. San Antonio Rampage
53
24
20
3
6
57
0.538
144
153
4-0-0-1
6-1-0-3
945
7.Peoria Rivermen
53
24
23
1
5
54
0.509
150
163
0-4-0-0
2-6-0-2
972
Just some inevitable thoughts after the last Cold - HOT - Cold weekend.

3 comments:

BobbyR said...

I agree with you about the complaints on that "other" Aeros blog. That "group" acts as if they are the world’s greatest hockey experts and that if they were in charge of the Aeros then the Aeros would have a perfect undefeated season 80-0-0-0.

They act as if every person signed to the Aeros is a Wayne Gretzy, Bobby Orr or a Gordie Howe. Then as soon as these young kids do not live up to their over-inflated expectations, they are ready to throw them off a cliff. If they are such hockey experts, how come they are not professional coaches or players?

It is to the point I do not even care to read anything that they post on that "other" Aeros blog site.

A pox upon all of them I say.

If they are that upset with the Aeros, then they can drive to San Antonio or Cedar Park and support those teams as far as I am concerned.

It is so nice to see someone write nice things about the boys, instead of the constant sour grapes ranting and ravings they do over there. There is a huge difference between reporting, commenting and constructive criticism versus the outright abusive diatribes that “they” constantly do.

I thank you artandhockey for the kind words you always have for the boys.

“I praise loudly, I blame softly.”
Catherine the Great

artandhockey said...

@BobbyR.. well I will not go that far.
I do read other blogs (and there seem to be a proliferation of them lately). At times I am amused, or angered. However, they do provoke some soul searching as that which caused the above post.
I try to look at all things (almost all ;-)!) with a bit of humor, such as it is.
If one looks closely, every bit of humor includes a bit of harsh truth.
I have been guilty of ranting as well-oh yes, there was a time or two, when... the ranting got away with me, LOL.
I repeat, the guyz, individually, work hard and want to do well.. BUT they all have 'bad skates/sticks/whatever' days and don't always measure up 100% or even 90% ... we just have to grit teeth and keep smiling. And Aeros are afterall (as the Wild hope) the farm team to raise the new crop of 'Wild Guyz'!
IMO, nothing wrong, either, with going to other teams' games. It IS Entertainment of a most dramatic sort - right after OPERA and the ARTS (tee hee-had to throw that in - NOT sorry, ;-)!)
But I do thank you for reading the outpourings of all kinds on all sort-a-things!
Life is too short - let's make the most of it!

CatTrick said...

I'm not going to complain, rant, swear, or despair ... I'm pretty much enjoying the Aeros, win or lose, and grateful to have hockey in Houston. I love *my* Aeros and will continue to support them. I'm thinking, if they don't make the playoffs, I don't have to worry about coming up with $$$$ for tickets. If they do make it, I get to see live hockey longer into the post-season!

As for "that other blog" ... I love it ... they've got lots of knowledge, insite, and contacts, and provide a lot of info not available elsewhere. I'll stay loyal to them ... and won't forget how they got me thru a "too long" off season last summer. As for their opinions ... that's what blogs are all about! I appreciate their hard work and dedication to their craft. And of course, I appreciate "artandhockey" too!!!