About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Let's misbehave...... Wild News as well ;-)!

...so you think writing or singing about sex is a new thing?
Think again.
Go back to the 1930's and '40's and listen, really listen, to some Cole Porter songs!
Well, yes, the hints are somewhat veiled, but with some imagination you, too, can hear this.

Who in the heck is Cole Porter, you ask...
He was  born on 9 June 1891 in Peru, Indiana and died on 15 October 1964 .
Being very well off he traveled to Europe where he rented the
Ca Rezonnico in Venice. Later moved to Paris where he entertained lavishly. After a horrible riding accident he was often in pain, but continued to write and compose his amusing and often tongue-in-cheek songs such as 'DuBarry was a Lady'

Best known as the Broadway master who wrote "Night and Day", "Kiss me Kate" among others,
he was also known for his catalogue songs and songs which extolled  "THINGs" ;-)!

And "I get a kick out of you" with a verse like this
          Some get a kick from cocaine
(in the Sinatra recording below it was changed to perfume form Spain !!!)

I'm sure that if
I took even one sniff
That would bore me terrifically, too
(and just listen to how he sings the terrifically  ;-)!!)

Yet, I get a kick out of you...






And this,  a somewhat modern version "Let's misbehave"..


And one of my faves.. a great tune to dance to: Begin the Beguine!

Many singers chose to sing his songs, from Irene Bordoni, Ethel Merman, and especially Ella Fitzgerald, Lena  Horne. Eartha Kitt,  to Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, etc, and even opera singers like Shirley Verrett, Katherine Grayson, Eleanor Steeber, Thomas Hampson and others. That to me speaks of a real appreciation of Porter's talent in melding words to music that is pleasant to the ear  of the listener and lies beautifully on the voice for the interpreters.
KD Lang's interpretation of "Love for Sale"
Of course, we need not forget the many bands that played his tunes - here are some noted ones
PAUL WHITEMAN & HIS ORCHESTRA - I Get A Kick Out Of You
RAY NOBLE & HIS ORCHESTRA - Experiment
XAVIER CUGAT & HIS WALDORF-ASTORIA ORCHESTRA - Begin The Beguine
GUY LOMBARDO - Ridin' High
TOMMY DORSEY & HIS ORCHESTRA - Who Knows
WOODY HERMAN - Do I Love You
BOB CROSBY & HIS ORCHESTRA - I've Got My Eyes On You
LES BROWN & HIS ORCHESTRA - Let's Be Buddies
GLENN MILLER & HIS ORCHESTRA - Fresh As A Daisy
 I DO hope that YOU enjoyed this foray into melodious harmonies!

*******************************************************

WILD NEWS FLASH

Airborne :-) Palmer


Jarod Palmer
AND
'Hattrick' Casey Wellman

have signed qualifying offers.

Wellman


No comments: