About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I wish I could say

that ideas are still borne rapidly.
I'd be lying.
Certain ideas have turned to ashes.
Others are smoldering and would need strong breezes to revive.
It must be this unrelenting heat that saps body and mind.
Most likely. I won't admit to anything worse :-).
I feel only alive when I am in the water vigorously - well not exactly - making waves.
And the mind floating restfully upon them :-)!
Lagoon at Bonita Springs, FL, by  artandhockey
Everything looks to work in slow mo!
My brain is most definitely on hold for the summer, or so it feels.


Diving into summer reading - anything that does NOT require constructive thought  ;-D!

So here I was gobbling down
(flipping pages, skipping a paragraph or two to speed up the process and arrive at the end):
  • Two J.A. Jance crime fiction Cruel Intent and
  • Queen of the Night.
  • Grisham's The Summons - not up to his usual speed IMO-had to think hard to recall the title;-)!
  • Kaplan's Balkan Ghosts (written in the early 80s and almost prophetic in hindsight). That one did ask for some deeper thinking :-) - a later-at-night subject when times hangs on one's hands.
  • Malamut's Idiots First - a collection of essays amusing with its finely honed irony!
  • Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea - tale of an ocean voyage gone horribly wrong but also a tribute to strong willed men of the past.

A little :-) wisdom for you
(not by me alas, the author is anon), chers readers:
"Everything we need to know about life, 
we learned from Noah's Ark:
One: Don't miss the boat.
Two: Remember that we are all in the same boat.
Three: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
Four: Stay fit. When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.
Five: Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.
Six: Build your future on high ground.
Seven: For safety's sake, travel in pairs.
Eight: Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.
Nine: When you're stressed, float a while.
Ten: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals".

And - I admit the slow going of - The Peloponnesian War.
That one I am afraid will last me till Christmas with luck and extreme persistence!
And since I put that tome away from time to time, it needs a quick read through to remind me of what was read earlier .. which slows it down even more.
Plowing though chapter after chapter persistently -
eyes glaze over, mind drifts and the head nods - apnea?
I don't think so - just stultifying war history.
Educational yes.  
Titilating? Perhaps... to war historians!
 
So why?
Well, it IS a challenge.
Especially in these times of Greek upheaval!
  
Einstein  once said:
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".


And a little reminder of the past to help with the count down to next Aeros hockey season
April 13, 2011 4-1 win for Aeros
by artandhockey

2 comments:

ICEVET said...

"In The Heart of the Sea" (Philbrick) is truly a classic which can be reread many times.

With regard to "The Peloponnesian War" (kagan), perhaps an easier (and more authentic) read might be Thucydides classic...Walter Blanco's 1998 translation (same title).

artandhockey said...

@ICEVET will dig that one up, AFTER having finished the Kagan book. Thanks for the hunt.