About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Names - Voices from the Past..

just the other day someone mentioned Umm Kulthum, Egyptian singer (Umm -variable spelling-means Mother, btw).
That sent me back in time to the 50's in Vienna.
Friends from the Middle East kept playing her songs for me .. mesmerizing, strange, unfathomable sounds.
And into my head pop other names:
Edith Piaf - what huge sound emerged from this tiny Chanteuse of Paris?
Zarah Leander, a voice a Basso Profundo could envy ;-)!
The "Nuschler" Arch-Viennese comic singer/actor Hans Moser.
I have already bloged about the Incan Yma Sumac, with a range that defies belief.
And Elena Nikolaidi.. Greek opera singer, nick-named "Sopralto" (Soprano-Contralto-alas the recording is mono)
And then "Missa Luba"...African choirboys singing Mass. Incredible beauty from afar.
Am sure I can come up with many more, but above are a few clips to enjoy and be awed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very relieved NOT to see Tiny Tim appear on the list above!

artandhockey said...

Really? So you don't like tiptoeing through the tulips, too?