About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Individualist-Nonconformist-Objectivist

Ayn Rand ( 1905 – 1982), certainly was that.

"I am not primarily an advocate of capitalism, but of egoism; and I am not primarily an advocate of egoism, but of reason. If one recognizes the supremacy of reason and applies it consistently, all the rest follows."

She believed it and acted - often flying in the face of  (perceived-by whom?) conventional behaviour!
Her ideas now seem prescient of America's current political trend,
even of women's lib. Perhaps some of the proponents of that movement were inspired by Rand's novels?

Atlas Shrugged movie poster
Movie Poster
And in a most apropos way another movie, this one based on her novel  Atlas Shrugged, to come out  April 15. The annual  pay your taxes day! :-)!!

It has been quite some time, since I rather doggedly read my way through Atlas Shrugged and others by Rand.
I recall I had to initially force myself to finish chapters one and two. After that I was hooked and read the rest till all hours of one morning to the end!  Something in that book spoke to me. What it was exactly I can't remember. I'd need to go back and re-read it.
And, before you ask, will I see that movie? Probably not.
IMO very, very few movies can do justice to the books they are based upon.  Of course some of you will disagree.

Ayn Rand's 1957 novel could be seen as premonition, perhaps, of currents in today's 'political theme park'?   The movies Rebel Without a Cause in the 50s, Wall Street later, seemed to have been such indicators as well.

Atlas Shrugged, briefly-for details one must read the looong novel,  is basically a story of an economically ailing country, overpowered by a regulatory ruling Government seemingly out to destroy individual's motivation to succeed in business. Feminist ideas, way before time, are espoused by Ayn Rand with the addition of Taggart's sister who is more business orientated than her brother, the heir on top of the company
Rand' s novel seemingly presaged today's conservative Americans' distrust of too lavish government spending, too large deficits and perhaps even misleading social priorities. 

Could it be called an omen for the surge by America's Tea Party

And here a thought provoking speech from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead! 
As profound a defense of independence and individualism as is possible! Could this be more impressive if filmed in color and with special effects? Think on it!
I believe it IS the starkness of the b/w film that focuses one's mind on the context of the speech!


Movie about her life

Commemorative stamp
Ayn Rand is the source, among many others, of these sprigs of wisdom:

"Government "help" to business is just as disastrous as government persecution... the only way a government can be of service to national prosperity is by keeping its hands off"
'To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I."

 

"Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think".

No comments: