About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Sheepishly following....


After my blog 'The Curve' I received emails refuting some of my rumblings on that subject. One especially stood out through its clarity and common sense.
I want to post it here in toto as unedited quote:
"I have read section 1233 of the House health care proposal several times (as
well as large pieces of the rest of the document) and I never saw anything to
support the "death panel" and "rationing" you claimed are part of the plan.
Seriously, I looked and looked. I think maybe you might want to do that too
because I'm afraid you've been victimized by manipulators who take it for
granted you're naive enough to believe what they say and will not have the
integrity to actually do the research. It's not easy reading; I have a bit of
an advantage since I've had to read a lot of government documents since my
school days, not just for assignments then but also for compliance and grant
research in my jobs and volunteer work since.

I did find a little bit about how this death panel lie seems to have started.
This article says a bit about it:
----------------
LA CROSSE, Wis. - This city often shows up on "best places to live" lists, but
residents say it is also a good place to die -- which is how it landed in the
center of a controversy that almost derailed health-care reform this summer.

The town's biggest hospital, Gundersen Lutheran, has long been a pioneer in
ensuring that the care provided to patients in their final months complies with
their wishes. More recently, it has taken the lead in seeking to have Medicare
compensate physicians for advising patients on end-of-life planning.

The hospital got its wish this spring when House Democrats inserted that
provision into their health-care reform bill -- only to see former Alaska
governor Sarah Palin seize on it as she warned about "death panels" that would
deny care to the elderly and the disabled.
----------------
This is counseling I'm familiar with not only from my own experiences with
cancer--you know I was Stage 3 when I was diagnosed, and my chances were way
less than 50/50--but also from when I volunteered in Twelve Oaks Hospital in the
late 80's and early 90's. All this consists of is making sure people are
ADVISED of their options while they are still in a position to make decisions.
The main purpose for the patients is to make sure their wishes are respected and
that their family members don't have to make those painful decisions. Believe
me, I saw some agony and some knock-down drag-out fights because people hadn't
documented their wishes.

There is NOTHING in section 1233 like what you believe. But don't take my word
on it--you already took other people's word, and they misled you. Please,
please go read it for yourself! I know it's easier to let one's emotions
prevail, but the facts are the facts. Read the actual document itself. Look up
HR3200 online. Then, if you find proof of what Rush Limbaugh and his type are
saying, pass it on to me. Seriously, just provide the citation so I can see it
for myself.

I've delivered similar counseling myself to people I very much loved and cared
for and did NOT want to see go to an early death. But when you see a good
friend lie in a vegetative state for more than a month because he was
resuscitated by mistake because his paperwork was not in order, you understand
better. I just hope you don't have to see that yourself."
Now my reply to that:
1. I do believe in: NOT resuscitating. I believe in hospice care if that is the end
2. Death panels: did not go that far.
3. 'The curve' was blogged, after reading a WSJ article
4. I believe health care could be 'changed' : by
a) states wide insurance,
b) no pre consisting condition clause,
c) negotiated drug prices ( lowers Profits for Pharma. comp. and Doctors).
d) Caps on suing companies, etc... caps on legal fees..

5. A reasonably accessible insurance rate for EVERYONE, with the option that IF DESIRED anyone can UPGRADE to 1. class (as in Austria).
Yes, you won't have a 2 bed hosp. room with hotel amenities...
When I grew up there the Wards (lowest government care) HELD 25-30 BEDS,
later in newer hospitals WARDS held 6-8 beds. 1 or 2 beds were FIRST CLASS with PRIVATE insurance ONLY. And even there, NO hotel like environment/amenities- such as lobbies with fountains,etc. as an example... who do you think pays for that? The patient/insurance companies! Is that kind of luxury really necessary? I do not think so.. hospitals are to treat not pamper, for that go to a ritzy spa and pay yourself. In this morning's WSJ: some states ran out of money for basic things, like renewing drivers licenses... go there and read that.
America, the beautiful, America, the bankrupt ..;-)


Followed by her reply (also unedited):
"Most of what I read leads me to believe that the health care companies are 1) responsible for most of the problem in the first place and 2) fueling lots of the mayhem (thought that guy who bit the old man's finger off is clearly a nutter who would benefit from some mental health care, whoever pays for it) because they want to keep their obscene profits.
Interestingly, most of the items you state are part of both the House bill and the Senate bill! Especially the need for consistency and sustainability of one's prgram and no pre-existing condition refusal. I went for years with no insurance at all because of the pre-existing condition clause. My only option was the state high-risk pool (I think they couldn't refuse anyone), and the price (sorry, I don't remember now what it was) was higher than my pay.
I have certainly noticed what you say about the ritzy spa atmosphere. It IS ridiculous, because it doesn't add any benefits. Surroundings do matter...but not marble amenities ane million-dollar furniture; scientific studies indicate that people respond to things like plants, pretty colors (can be inexpensive decorations and not high-end artwork), and opportunities to express or distract themselves--craft activities, movies, small group interactions. But the fancy stuff has been used to justify the huge charges...so more money can flow into the executives' pockets. It's all about greed. It's so ironic to have all that luxury when we know that to make people heal you need to feed their souls, not cater to their hedonistic urges!

I read the WSJ article you mentioned. It's not just governments! My company instituted voluntary furloughs this year. They said it was to keep layoffs down. We haven't had an official layoff, but some people have lost their jobs due to "consolidation" of groups. My brother said that where he works (Cameron) there have been lots of layoffs, and I probably told you that his wife was laid off from her job as legal secretary last year.

All the more reason to do volunteer work! Last night I applied to join the local Odd Fellows Lodge. They interviewed me on the spot and I'm hopeful of admission".


It's not just the furloughs.. it is the whole enchilada..states/cities spending money they have not taken in. Lost jobs-more unemployement claims, lost homes, lost revenue, lost taxes. More applications for foodstamps, food banks... and the circle repeats itself.
And the goverment can only do ONE thing, print more money..history repeating itself? Now that reminds me of an old song "Wer soll das bezahlen, wer hat soviel Geld..."
But history also recorded that voices raised in protest were often called alarmist by the masses who were lulled to complacency by promises.
Again!

No comments: