About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Now that IS a coincidence...

at the party last night we discussed voices.
And I mentioned the Peruvian Singer Yma Sumac (named after an Incan princess)she was not trained as an opera singer, whose octave range was phenomenal...from the lowest of bass to high soprano.. unreal, truly unreal....I have several records and guard them jealously. ;-)
People assumed that she developed this range because she was reared in high Andes country where the air is thin and the lungs must expand more then elsewhere to get enough oxygen.
Well anyway, today I went to my favorite source, YouTube, and found several samples.. so here they are for your awe and enjoyment...and YES believe me, SHE WAS REALLY FEMALE!
There are 5 Videos showing her range. I have just posted the 1.(low voice) and the 5th (highest voice)- she was incredible-bassi profundi and coloraturas all rolled into one voice with alto, contralto, bariton, mezzo, tenor, soprano and, maybe even, Countertenor overtones or undertones? In any case WOW!

1 comment:

music junkie said...

Yes, that was A VOICE.