About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Das Problem...English oder Deutsch

Nach -zig Blogs auf Englisch, etwas auf Deutsch.
Es faellt mir schon recht schwer, nach ueber 40 Jahren in den USA und taeglichem Englisch sprechen, lustige Kommentare abzugeben. Das ist im Englischen schon viel leichter.
Gott sei Dank, gibt es Videos and Bilder, mit denen man das Schreiben witzig machen kann. ;-).
Las in dem WSJ gerade einen Artikel ueber eine Frau in England, die es sich zu ihrem Lebensziel gemacht hat, das 'offizielle' Englisch leichter leserlich und verstaendlicher zu machen.
Und das erinnert mich an den Amtschimmel, der in Oestereich damals, und hoechtswahrscheinlich noch immer, ausgiebig und oft unverstaendlich wiehert!

Beim Uebersetzen offizieller Dokumente in der "Amtssprache" muss man sehr erfinderisch sein, um den Sinn im Englischen auch richtig zudeuten.

Und dann ist noch JODELN, was wirklich nicht zu leicht zu erlernen ist. Ein sehr flexibles Zungerl ist noetig, Kehlkopf usw. muss trainiert werden. Dafuer gibt es, besonders in Tirol, Steiermark und Bayern spezielle Schulen...;-)! try it, not so easy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They say you never forget your mother tongue. Yes, but in my case that’s German as spoken 45 years ago. There was no word then for computer, email, green thinking; no euphemisms for “challenged” people, no “Ossies”, etc. Last week I had guests from Germany: let me tell you, I was seriously “language challenged”! I could keep up with current German by reading, say, the Spiegel or the Frankfurter Allgemeine, but I’m not a person who can readily switch between languages. If I immerse myself in one, I get tongue-tied in the other. So, what’s the solution? I stick to English.

artandhockey said...

I agree, one's speech is 'suspended in time' from the moment one leaves for foreign shores. After just 3 years abroad I returned for long visit, and was immediately recognized as an 'AMI' in restaurants, etc. BUT who spoke German quite well, LOL.
One word sticks with me, still, "ausgeflippt" (no clue IF it is still in use today), but then it meant 'crazy, over the top, loco...an obvious combo between German and English.