About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Some like it cold..

photo taken 1911 when Niagara falls froze up compeltely. BRRRRRRRR

if you ARE one of those, hie yourself up to Calgary where the temperatures will dip to 9 degrees overnight and warm up to 27 during the day. Even Anchorage is warmer over the next two days.
And in Georgetown, CO, you can already frolic in the first real snow!
Georgetown to me is the little village that's full of LILACS in June. Lovely, the smell of Lilacs bring back memories...

Apropos memories, am feeling rather nostalgic this day. Thinking back on my days of 'roaming the world', well Europe for sure, hitchhiking, back backing, hiking...all on the cheap.
Friends did even more, they spread their wings all over, South Africa, South America, The Philippines, Canada...and, finally yours truly to USA, where I stuck for good LOL.
For whatever reasons, most of the others went back home to Austria. I never felt that way. I like it here, despite everything that IS wrong with this country.
Specifically I like Houston.
This city has it all: good art, good music, good theater, good opera, good sport (HOCKEY for me), friendly people, good restaurants, airline-hub so you can escape to elsewhere if want, mostly good weather (I hate to shiver, at least due to the cold, LOL).
That was my adventurous period ;-). T'was followed by forays into painting, later into poetry.
Now I am just a more or less informed spectator enjoying 'carping at'- ahem - critiquing several things. LOL. And you know, I really like being older. It has set me free.
Most times I do like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. As I get older, it is easier to be positive.. I could care less, mostly, about what you think. I don't question myself as much and as often. I feel I have earned the right to be wrong.
And so much for philosophizing LIFE is good

only 2 more days to Hockey :-).

No comments: