About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let us connect...

Salvatore Dali Art

Just read a review of a book by Michael Chorost "Wide Mind" and what I read there is - to say the least - mind boggling (pun intended).
Really need to read the whole book myself, soon!
Light (lol) summer reading, no way!

The author envisages a new way of living without the need of speech and conversation. "knowing" another's thoughts and emotions .
And not via cellphone.
That we (well some of us) have already.

It means being connected technologically within the brain.
A'course, this writer asks what about making eye contact, reading facial expressions!
Of course, it could misread those as well as we do,
do so often :-), I guess.
Will that mean atrophy of tongue, vocal cords, hearing and other senses?
Why have those after all, when a nano (or whatever called) computer implant can 'read' or 'sense' or 'compute' (lol)  emotions and thoughts without even being bodily nearby!
Kinda horrible scenario, isn't it?
Twitter, Facebook Linkdin or whatever all those 'social' networking sites call themselves,
they'll be completely obsolete! 
Tweeters' arise :-)!
No need to type (see Ma, no hands(!
No need to to buy a physical computer however small (see Ma, no machine)!
Your bionic  brain will do it all for you!

Of course, we are seeing true benefits of cochlear implants to counter hearing loss,
implants to prevent or reverse brain damages, and so much more. 
But these are preventive or restorative uses, in my opinion,
and thus welcome as improvement of quality of life.
Yet, the idea is intriguing but to me heaps SCARY. 
Bionic man and woman, here we come!BECAUSE, when I think of how ones' feelings and thoughts could be manipulated by the unscrupulous for political or mercenary gains, I do shudder!
What price freedom of thought,
freedom of speech, freedom to feel,
I ask you?


Robot Hockey, perhaps!


No comments: