About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Etre ou n'est pas etre....

'To Be or Not To Be' or 'Sein Oder Nichtsein' sounds so much more elegant in French?

In any case I WAS at the edge of my seat during The Met's Simulcast encore of Ambroise Thomas' HAMLET. Tonight. So wound up I have to post this. Get the DVD, I will. It will be a treasured performance.
This was an opera burning with passion.

Now I know why this opera is seldom performed in the USA.
It is a singers opera.
The libretto is in French.
It needs singers with complete familiarity with it.
To give the words they sing poignancy and sound expression.
So it needs singers who also can act.
It needs singers with strong and powerful voices who can last.
It is an opera that truly benefits from a bare stage while emphasizing the voices.
And this Met production certainly was.
A mostly bare stage filled with powerful acting singers and their strong voices.


As Hamlet baritone Simon Keenlyside filled the stage vocally and with his/Hamlet personality.
Mezzo Jennifer Larmore was a Queen Gertrude in demeanor, her strong voice rang out powerfully.
Replacing Natalie Dessay at last minute, Soprano Marlie Peterson was a beautiful
Ophelie, she sang AND acted stunningly.
Someone dismissively called Thomas's music 'wimpy' and 'blah'?
Where he got THAT idea is a mystery to me.
This was drama, pure and simple DRAMA. Staging and props be damned, this opera is all about great powerful singing and acting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for posting this on your blog.
Now I really feel bad about not being able to attend the simulcast.
UP

artandhockey said...

As mentioned, hopefully they will have a DVD WITH THIS CAST out soon.