About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

There is this....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703846604575448083053935368.html#
Parody is a form of flattery or so this (old-remember I was off line for a while) article posits. And  a howling success IMO a parody well done can be!
It must be my Austrian Galgenhumor, or is it an overactive funny bone that draws me to parodies, satires, ironies, tongue-on-cheek expressions or simply puns on words in any language?
Nicknames that are funny but in a nice way..well, I think so.
Somehow most Aeros hockey players lend themselves to such designations.
Just think of last season:
The Scrapper, MacAttack, Kassassinator, Ironman....and so forth.
All those nicknames have kernels of truth and fact in them.
Sunny... the smile did it!
The Scrapper .. always in the midst of scrapes, seemingly fearlessly.
MacAttack...taking on BIG penalties.
Kassassinator...taking down the 'enemy'.
Ironman...appears to be hurt, but next thing he's back on the ice
and doing what comes so naturally to him, aiming powerful slapshots!
Ah well, you do get the idea, no?
So, since I do like reading, too- (aren't you just a bit surprised...hockey, opera, literature - of course not, you've read the posts on many a thing) I was heartily amused by that article. And not a wee bit surprised that English/UK literature lends itself even more so to being parodied...it's that diffident, surreal English humor  that created such movies as "Kind Hearts and Coronets" for instance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore Alec Guinness - seen most of his movies.