About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Re- make, Re-fashion, Re-interprete ..what of it?

I am totally fed up - here are 'some' creative types doing it again...
a re-fashioning of a master piece which most definitely does not need any!

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2010/11/05/updated_porgy_and_bess_to_open_arts_season/?comments=all#readerComm

NOOOOOOOO!

Improving on a masterpiece, I think not!
Chasing after fame,  yes.
Wanting to stir up controversy, yes!

Leave the classics alone.

"Create" your own stuff!
But perhaps, you are not as creative as you think you are!

Now, most of you out there could care less about the hacking and chopping of and into a classic well known piece just to make it more "palatable"-
and that is questionable - for the masses?
I say "It ain't necessarily so"  ;-)!


I happen to care and so I post. Set in my ways? Perhaps! Probably, yes!
But I do feel  - enough already with remakes...of movies, plays or opera!

Now when it comes to Hockey,
I have no quarrels with a repeat-that is-of WINS.
No quarrels at all!
Wins by a goal or more -
that IS irrelevant.
A win is a win, right, fans?
Keep winning, keep celebrating...:-)!

1 comment:

operalover said...

Not all remakes are created equal.
Too bad some seem to like it.
I agree with you regarding Shirley Verrett, she was one of the most unusual singers, as a Mezzo or Contralto, her voice was unique.
But she did remind me a bit of Elena Nikolaidi, whose career never did take off after WW II, Did you ever hear her?