About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Good bye

to another icon in the opera world- yes, Shirley Verrett dead at 79.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j7iBcnbHgApXdC6lKwWKXAs0JgYA?docId=5049254
I should not be surprised..
at our age, more and more contemporaries or almost contemporaries are showing up in media obituaries around the world.
So sad.
But thanks to YouTube and other electronic media their voices, their art, their talent will forever remain alive..IF you look for it to learn, to enjoy.. the power of her voice, the power of her expression....
from  Verdi's Don Carlo as Eboli....


and she also shone in the French repertory, here as Dalilah...

I never saw her in person but enjoyed numerous hours listening to CDs. For whatver reason, I seem to get the most out of the lower register voices, the mezzo sopranos, contraltos, altos, the baritones and basses. Hearing those voices causes an almost visceral response, which a coloratura soprano, a high tenor does not. As much as I do enjoy hearing a Domingo, a Corelli, Bjoerling, Kraus, Wunderlich, Pavarotti or Gedda, the sound of a basso profundo such as Nicolai Ghiaurov here (from Sadko) is so unique, causing shivers down the spine:

No comments: