About Me

My photo
Split personality. Liking the arts, especially opera, and hockey and Los Toros. I know, I know THAT one is non pc currently. But I can't help it saw some in Spain and got hooked, but good. But on the other hand right now opera and hockey are in the forefront!

Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The joys of....

.....being a senior.
Please note, senior, not senile! Well, sometimes that too. Forgetting things, and even names lately. Used to be a font for names , now more like a sieve!
Two days ago, I could not remember for the life of me, who composed West Side Story!

Tried to stick my tongue out at me in the mirror in hopes I'd be able to read the name off it-you know the old saying:"It's just on the tip of my tongue".
No go.

Now, who was it again who composed the 'Love story of the West Side'??? HUH???
Leonard Bernstein, that's who, may he rest in peace.
And here is my favorite song from it:




Girlfriends and I went gaga over George Chakiris, the Leader of the Puerto Ricans. Wow, could he dance and act...LOL.
Even sing, unless it was dubbed for him.
Uschi even taped a paean to him on a cassette (well, reel more like it, then) and actually mailed it off to him in the USA. Natch she never heard a peep from him, but that didn't keep her from mooning after him for months! And after that a new heart throb occupied her days and nights...and he lived much closer!

At which point ... well, never mind!

Now why did I start this, thinking of times way back when everything was new and exciting. We always were ready to do and go and have fun. I guess having had a telephone chat with one of those 'old' girlfriends got this train of thought going ;-).

Dancing the nights away at a Ball or Gschnas, during the carneval/Fasching season, arriving all decked out in our best ballgowns at 10 PM, dancing with gusto, finally leaving for home at 6 AM with a quick stop at a Wurst seller for a hot cup of Gulyas soup or a Debrezin sausage with a Wachauer Laiberl and Kremser Senf, hot and spicy, both. Followed by several cups of strong espresso to keep us going through the day of classes and/or work. Soaking dance sore feet in Epsom Salts before heading out again into the winter day.

And could not wait for the next ball to start. Ah, well YOUTH and resilience!



Waltz we did, just not quite like these Wiener Staatsopern Ballet Dancers... :-)

No comments: